Employment Opportunity: Hospital Technician Director (FT/P)
Employer: Brendan W. Furlong, MVB, Equine Veterinarian, PA
Employment start date: January 23, 2016
B.W. Furlong & Associates is an equine veterinary practice headquartered in Oldwick, NJ. The practice employs 14 veterinarians that practice in the Northeast, as well as 3 that practice in Florida and Virginia under the name Peak Performance Equine Services. It is an extremely fast-paced and busy practice, serving and caring for some of the most prestigious clientele in the country. The main practice consists of a full service ambulatory division, as well as a 4 acre facility that houses a full service 12 stall hospital, stallion collection station, lab, and advanced imaging capabilities. It also has separate properties that include a standing MRI and a rehabilitation center. Employees of the company are all expected to demonstrate the core beliefs.
- Manage hospital team of ~ 4 technicians and ~ 3 interns, and liaison with veterinarians and front office.
- Management responsibilities include: treatment plans & medical records, daily personnel deployment, on-call scheduling, stall assignments, hospital inventory & equipment, training protocols, conflict resolution, and backup coverage.
- Assist Dr. Furlong with in-hospital cases, including, but not limited to, joint injections, lameness exams, pre-purchase examinations, and imaging. This would include handling, lunging, and jogging horses, and also prepping joints, obtaining and downloading radiographs, etc.
- Stock Dr. Furlong’s truck on a daily basis based on needs of schedule
- Provide treatments for hospital cases, including, but not limited to, preparing and administering medications, performing physical exams, placing catheters, running fluids, and assisting with diagnostics.
- Provide tech coverage for surgery (growth opportunity)
- Care for patients, including, but not limited to, grooming, feeding, mucking out, cleaning feed & water buckets, and turning out
- Assist in maintenance of hospital grounds
- Additional responsibilities as needed
- Time will be spent ~ 25% managing, 25% assisting Dr. Furlong, and 50% providing treatments in the hospital.
- Minimum three years working in an equine hospital
- An outstanding team attitude and work ethic
- Post high-school education in equine medicine
- Veterinary technician license (LVT) is preferred
- Excellent horse-horse handling skills are mandatory, including handling of fractious horses, ability to jog horses in hand, and proficiency in lunging horses
- Good time management and multitasking skills
- Ability to manage and direct team in areas of responsibility
- Technologically proficient
- Excellent handling emergency situations
- Quick-thinker, self-motivated, and a fast learner
Hours are Monday-Friday, approximately 8a-4:30p, with average one night on call each week (5p-8a). Weekly hours will be approximately 37.5 hours. Benefits include hourly salary commensurate with experience, 401K, profit sharing, Health Insurance, and discounted veterinary services and products.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Adam Furlong, Project Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org