Employment Opportunity: Surgery Technician
Employer: Brendan W. Furlong, Equine Veterinarian, PA
Employment start date: Feb 1, 2018
B.W. Furlong & Associates is an equine veterinary practice headquartered in Oldwick, NJ. The practice employs 15 veterinarians that practice in the Northeast, as well as 3 that practice in Florida and Virginia under the name Peak Performance Equine Services. It is an extremely fast-paced and busy practice, serving and caring for some of the most prestigious clientele in the country. The main practice consists of a full service ambulatory division, as well as a 4 acre facility that houses a full service 12 stall hospital, lab, and advanced imaging capabilities. It also has separate properties that include a standing MRI and a rehabilitation center. The practice has recently hired a full time surgeon and plans to substantially grow the elective and emergency surgical caseload. Employees of the company are all expected to demonstrate the core beliefs.
- Provide peri-operative care for surgical patients
- Induce and maintain horses under anesthesia
- Perform various technical procedures including postoperative support and monitoring, Intravenous catheter placement for both short and long term vein access, venipuncture, IV injections, drug administration (IV, Oral, Subcutaneous), blood transfusion administration, emergency intervention, ECG monitoring, blood pressure monitoring (arterial line placement)
- Maintain surgical facilities to sterilization, radiation, OSHA, and environmental standards and ensures suite is stocked with necessary inventory & consumables
- Care for all surgical equipment, including prepping, cleaning/sterilizing, and performing routine maintenance
- Record & enter medical records, treatments, and invoices
- Assist in pre-surgical workups, including diagnostic imaging, lameness exams, and internal medicine cases. This would including handling, lunging, and jogging horses, prepping joints, obtaining and downloading radiographs, etc.
- Assist in post-surgical care and treatments, including, but not limited to, preparing and administering medications, performing physical exams, placing catheters, running fluids, and assisting with diagnostics.
- Setup & prepare all medications and treatments for overnight treatments
- Care for patients, including, but not limited to, grooming, feeding, mucking out, cleaning feed & water buckets, and turning out
- Admit and discharge patients
- Assist in maintenance of hospital grounds
- Run in-house labs or prepare reference lab samples to be sent out
- Additional responsibilities as needed
- Minimum one year working as a technician in an equine hospital or two years working as an (ambulatory) equine veterinary assistant. A strong preference is given to those with surgical experience
- Anesthesia experience is preferred, but training can be provided to the right applicant
- Post high-school education in equine studies (or similar field) is required
- Veterinary technician license (LVT) is preferred
- Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively at all times and maintain professionalism in emotionally charged / challenging situations.
- An outstanding team attitude, work ethic and an active participant in problem-solving and team advancement.
- Excellent horse-horse handling skills are mandatory, including handling of fractious horses, ability to jog horses in hand, and proficiency in lunging horses
- Good time management and multitasking skills
- Ability to work independently and practice good judgment to ensure high-quality care for all patients and request assistance when needed
- Capable of handling patient emergency situations
- Capable of heavy lifting, including hay bales, feed bags, and muck buckets
Hours are Monday-Friday, 8a-5p, with periodic overtime. Approximately one night on call each week (5p-8a) is also required. Benefits include attractive hourly pay commensurate with experience, 401K, profit sharing, health insurance, and discounted veterinary services and products.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Adam Furlong, Project Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org