Employment Opportunity: Hospital Technician
Employer: Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A.
Employment start date: July 6, 2020
Employment Status: Full time, permanent
B.W. Furlong & Associates is an equine veterinary practice headquartered in Oldwick, NJ. The practice employs 17 veterinarians that practice in the Northeast, as well as 3 that practice in Florida and Virginia under the name Peak Performance Equine Services. It is an extremely fast-paced and busy practice, serving and caring for some of the most prestigious clientele in the country. The main practice consists of a full service ambulatory division, as well as a 4 acre facility that houses a full service 12 stall hospital, stallion collection station, lab, and advanced imaging capabilities. It also has separate properties that include a standing MRI and a rehabilitation center. During the winter months, members of the practice transition to Wellington, FL to cover the Winter Equestrian Festival. Employees of the company are all expected to demonstrate the core beliefs.
- Patients & Hospital
- Provide treatments for hospital cases, including, but not limited to, preparing and administering medications, performing physical exams, placing catheters, running fluids, and assisting with diagnostics.
- Setup & prepare all medications and treatments for overnight treatments
- Setup & assist with out-patient exams, including, but not limited to, joint injections, lameness exams, pre-purchase examinations, internal medicine cases, and diagnostic imaging.
- Nuclear scintigraphy: prepare patient for procedure, perform the procedure, and maintain diligent record-keeping (e.g. medical records and invoices)
- Assist veterinarians with in-patient exams and procedures.
- Care for patients, including, but not limited to, grooming, feeding, mucking out, cleaning feed & water buckets, and turning out
- Assist with after-hours emergency admissions
- Provide tech coverage for surgery (growth opportunity)
- Record treatments and observations in medical records
- Disinfect & clean hospital areas
- Additional responsibilities as needed
- Lab & Equipment
- Care for all imaging equipment (clean/charge/organize), and archive images
- Sterilize all instruments and equipment
- Run in-house labs or prepare samples for reference lab submission
- Additional responsibilities as needed
- Excellent horse-horse handling skills are mandatory, including handling of fractious horses, ability to jog horses in hand, and proficiency in lunging horses
- An outstanding team attitude, work ethic, and desire to learn
- Minimum one year working as a technician in an equine hospital, or two years working as an (ambulatory) equine veterinary assistant is strongly preferred, although we are willing to train someone with extensive horse background (non medical) and a desire to learn
- Post high-school education in equine studies or veterinary technician license (LVT) is preferred
- Good time management and multitasking skills
- Ability to work independently
- Capable of handling patient emergency situations
- Capable of heavy lifting, including hay bales, feed bags, and muck buckets
Hours are as follows: Wednesday 2p-8p, Thurs-Fri 8a-8p, and Saturday 7a-5p. One to two nights on call each week (5p-8a) is also required, as is some flexibility in scheduling and overtime needs. Benefits include attractive hourly pay commensurate with experience, 401K, profit sharing, Health Insurance, and discounted veterinary services and products.
Brendan W. Furlong, MVB, Equine Veterinarian, P.A, d/b/a B.W. Furlong & Associates, provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Kim Reitmeyer, Human Resources & Administrative Manager, at email@example.com.