Employment Opportunity: Senior Hospital Technician
Employer: Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A.
Employment start date: September 15, 2020
B.W. Furlong & Associates is an equine veterinary practice headquartered in Oldwick, NJ. The practice employs 17 veterinarians that practice in the Northeast, as well as 3 that practice in Florida and Virginia under the name Peak Performance Equine Services. It is an extremely fast-paced and busy practice, serving and caring for some of the most prestigious clientele in the country. The main practice consists of a full service ambulatory division, as well as a 4 acre facility that houses a full service 12 stall hospital, stallion collection station, lab, and advanced imaging capabilities. It also has separate properties that include a standing MRI and a rehabilitation center. During the winter months, members of the practice transition to Wellington, FL to cover the Winter Equestrian Festival. Employees of the company are all expected to demonstrate the core beliefs.
Summary: This role is suited for an individual looking to make significant contributions to a thriving and dynamic equine hospital. The right candidate will enjoy playing an active role in all aspects of patient care and working with a number of veterinarians and technicians. Responsibilities may be expanded or modified based on the skills and abilities demonstrated by the person hired. Must be able to operate independently, supervise and train others when necessary, fully participate as a team member, build relationships across the practice, follow directions, take initiative, and demonstrate strict attention to detail with every action. Must be willing to accept challenges as well as perform the most basic tasks. As a Senior Hospital Technician, it is expected that you will begin contributing to the practice immediately, requiring minimal training and oversight. If you like a fast-paced, medically intensive environment, have a natural compassion for patients, clients and staff, and are committed to providing exceptional equine patient care, we welcome your application!
- Provide and document patient care for hospitalized cases, including, but not limited to, preparing and administering medications (oral, IV, IM), performing exams and monitoring patients, placing IV catheters, passing nasogastric tubes, running IV fluids, and assisting with diagnostic procedures
- Setup and assist with in-patient and out-patient procedures, including, but not limited to, lameness exams, pre-purchase examinations, internal medicine cases, and diagnostic imaging. This would include proficiently handling, lunging, jogging, and restraining horses, preparing patients for procedures, and managing and maintaining equipment and medical records
- Participate in elective and emergent surgeries, rotating either as a surgery technician or anesthesia technician
- Oversight of isolation caseload, to include adherence to all necessary biosecurity protocols and treatment plans
- Assist with care for patients, including, but not limited to, grooming, feeding, mucking out, cleaning feed & water buckets, and turning out
- Capable of heavy lifting of approximately 50 pounds, such as hay bales, feed bags, water and muck buckets
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- Minimum two years working in an equine hospital in a similar role
- CVT/LVT preferred
- Excellent horse handling skills are mandatory, including handling of fractious or sedated horses, mares, foals; proficiency in hand jogging and lunging horses (references required)
- Proactive problem solver
- Responds effectively in patient/client emergency situations
- Thrives in a high-pressure, fast paced environment
- Exceptional communication skills; with vets, techs, clients, across multiple mediums (spelling and grammar count!)
- An outstanding team attitude and work ethic
- Time management and multitasking skills
- Contagious positive attitude
- Quick-thinker, self-motivated, and a fast learner
Hours are Monday-Friday, approximately 8:00a-5:00p, with average one night on call each week (5p-8a). Benefits include hourly salary commensurate with experience, 401K, profit sharing, Health Insurance, and discounted veterinary services and products.
Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A., d/b/a B.W. Furlong & Associates, provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Kim Reitmeyer, Human Resources & Administrative Manager, at email@example.com