Employment Opportunity: Assistant Pharmacy Technician
Employer: Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A.
Employment start date: September 2020
Reports to: Pharmacy Technician
B.W. Furlong & Associates is an equine veterinary practice headquartered in Oldwick, NJ. The practice employs 15 veterinarians that practice in the Northeast, as well as 3 that practice in Florida and Virginia under the name Peak Performance Equine Services. The businesses staff between 20-30 employees that work in roles to support the veterinarians. It is an extremely fast-paced and busy practice, serving and caring for some of the most prestigious clientele in the country. The main practice consists of a full service ambulatory division, as well as a 4 acre facility that houses a full service 12 stall hospital, isolation barn, lab, and advanced imaging capabilities. It also has separate properties that include a standing MRI and a rehabilitation center. Employees of the company are all expected to demonstrate the core beliefs.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY: The Assistant Pharmacy Technician is a new role in the company, reporting to the Pharmacy Technician. The Pharmacy Technician will train and direct the activities of this position until they understand the full scope of the position and are able to prioritize and perform routine responsibilities with minimal supervision. This position will interact with clients and require knowledge of medications and will also assist with processing lab tests as needed.
- Maintain pharmacy with supplies needed for the hospital and ambulatory staff; communicate inventory needs to Pharmacy Technician to reorder
- Monitor pharmacy orders and inventory and anticipate upcoming needs accordingly; stock shelves, fine tune labelling, restock open access area
- Collect and document expired inventory
- Receive prescription refill requests and process in a timely fashion
- Maintain organization of pharmacy area and ensure all areas are free of clutter and debris
- Dispense prescribed medications and other pharmaceuticals for patient care, according to professional standards and state and federal legal requirements
- Review prescriptions issued by veterinarians to ensure accuracy and determine formulas and ingredients needed
- Answer questions and provide information to clients on drug interactions, side effects, and dosage
- Pack and ship orders for Furlong’s Healthy Horse and clients; prepare orders for client pick-up; internal billing and shipping between B.W. Furlong & Associates entities
- Ensure items ordered are received and billed properly
- Maintain established procedures concerning quality assurance and security of controlled substances
- Enter data to maintain pharmacy files, charge system and inventory; enter new billing codes
- 2 years pharmacy or hospital technician experience (veterinary preferred)
- Inventory management experience (minimum 4 years if no prior pharmacy experience)
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures/information and other business correspondence
- Able to demonstrate consistent follow through and completion of tasks
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to deliver exceptional client service
- Must be able to regularly lift up to 40 pounds
Compensation based on experience. Hours Mon-Fri 9a-3p (25 hours/week). Additional hours may be available once training has been successfully completed. Discounted veterinary services and products also available upon completion of introductory period.
Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A., d/b/a B.W. Furlong & Associates, provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Kim Reitmeyer, Human Resources & Administrative Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.