Employment Opportunity: Bookkeeper
Employer: Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A.
Employment start date: September 2020
Reports to: Finance Manager
B.W. Furlong & Associates is an equine veterinary practice headquartered in Oldwick, NJ. The practice employs 15 veterinarians that practice in the Northeast, as well as 3 that practice in Florida and Virginia under the name Peak Performance Equine Services. The businesses staff between 20-30 employees that work in roles to support the veterinarians. It is an extremely fast-paced and busy practice, serving and caring for some of the most prestigious clientele in the country. The main practice consists of a full service ambulatory division, as well as a 4 acre facility that houses a full service 12 stall hospital, isolation barn, lab, and advanced imaging capabilities. It also has separate properties that include a standing MRI and a rehabilitation center. Employees of the company are all expected to demonstrate the core beliefs.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY: The Bookkeeper is a new role in the company, reporting to the Finance Manager. The Finance Manager will train and direct the activities of this position until the Bookkeeper understands the full scope of the position and is able to prioritize and perform routine responsibilities with minimal supervision. This position will assist with the processing of financial transactions related to all entities and offers tremendous growth potential.
- Record deposits and expenses to QuickBooks accounts utilizing journal entries and assigning cost centers based on a detailed review of invoices, receipts and other reports.
- Daily entry of invoices and credit card charges for all entities.
- Communicate with staff for invoice/statement validation and approval.
- Obtain W-9s and Certificates of Insurance for service providers.
- Verify contract obligations, federal ID number, mailing address, and other payment related information.
- Monitor and utilize discount opportunities.
- Document and resolve invoice, purchase order, or payment discrepancies by communicating with staff or vendors.
- Schedule, prepare, and issue checks and credit card payments.
- Classify invoices for Use-Tax filing per state requirements.
- Prepare a weekly A/P scan for third party upload/storage.
- Reconcile bank account statements monthly for each legal entity.
- Reconcile company credit card statements monthly to include collection of expense documentation.
- Prepare annual 1099s for vendors.
- Actively participate in meetings as required.
- Demonstrate accountability in all areas of responsibility.
- Work closely with the Accountant on tasks as requested.
- Other projects and tasks as directed by leadership.
- Communicate frequently and timely via email, phone, or one-on-one with leadership, staff, vendors and suppliers.
- Contribute to continuous improvement initiatives.
- Bachelors or Associates Degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2 years experience working as a bookkeeper, accounting assistant or similar role
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting principles
- Adept in the use of QuickBooks, Excel & Google applications
- Experience working with transactions for multiple legal entities
- Able to take direction remotely, perform independently while contributing to the team environment
- Strong communication and problem solving skills across all modes of interaction – written and verbal
- Confident working in a fast-paced, evolving environment while maintaining accuracy and integrity of data
- Ability to manage time effectively and prioritize tasks
- Adhere to the parameters of our Company Values at all times while delivering results
- Ability to protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential and accurate
- Medical/veterinary/pharmaceutical industry experience is a plus
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL
Hours are Monday-Friday, approximately 8:00a-5:00p. Benefits include hourly salary commensurate with experience, 401K, profit sharing, Health Insurance, and discounted veterinary services and products.
Brendan W. Furlong, M.V.B., Equine Veterinarian, P.A., d/b/a B.W. Furlong & Associates, provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Kim Reitmeyer, Human Resources & Administrative Manager, at email@example.com